Baked Eggs with Spinach, Tomatoes and Garlic
Eggs baked on a bed of tomatoes and spinach could become your new favorite breakfast meal. Lean, no-carb and easy to prepare, this one is sure to be a hit!
Recipe from Erin Chase of $5 Dinners
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 10 ounces fresh spinach
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 Tablespoons minced onion
- 4 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Paprika, sprinkle as garnish
- Fresh fruit as side dish
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To a large skillet or saucepan, add the olive oil and saute the garlic for a minute, before adding the spinach. Toss the spinach around for about a minute, then add the diced tomatoes. Toss together and then add the minced onion. Let simmer until most of the liquid has cooked off, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Place the sauteed spinach into an ovenproof baking dish, creating “divets” for the eggs. Crack 1 egg into each hole.
- Bake the spinach and eggs for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until egg whites have turned white and the yolk has partially cooked through. Cook an additional 3 to 4 minutes if you prefer the egg yolk to be completely cooked through.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and sprinkle with salt and pepper and paprika.
- Serve with fresh fruit for a well balanced breakfast or simple “brinner.”