Ham and Broccoli Breakfast Casserole with Extra-Sharp Cheddar
Breakfast for dinner is always popular, as this “brunch casserole” is a great meal to share with your family on a weekend morning, or busy weeknight.
Recipe from Erin Chase of $5 Dinners
- 4 whole wheat English muffins, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups leftover ham, diced
- 8 ounces block extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Lightly grease a 9×13-inch glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, toss together the cut English muffin pieces with the broccoli florets, diced ham and about 3/4 cup of the shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese. Once tossed, pour into the baking dish.
- In the same mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, paprika and crushed red pepper. Add in a few dashes of salt and pepper as well.
- Pour the egg mixture over top of the ingredients in the baking dish. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, sprinkle the remaining shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese over top of the casserole. Bake, covered, at 375° for 45 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes, or until the casserole puffs up and slightly browns on top.
- Serve warm for breakfast, brunch or even “brinner.”