A perfect companion to savory, hot barbecued meats is this sweet and refreshing salsa. Bursting with vitamins, antioxidants and fiber, it’s also easy to assemble with little preparation. You can make this unusual salsa ahead, adding freshly cut avocado just before serving. Adjust amounts to your taste and size of crowd.
- 4 large, ripe mangoes, peeled; or 3 jars of sliced mangoes in syrup, drained
- 6 stalks green onion, sliced thin; or use one package of the pre-sliced variety from the produce section
- 7 ripe tomatoes, cut into small chunks; or 1 14.28-oz. can of chopped tomatoes, drained well.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced; or 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced (skip if you don’t want the heat)
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 pitted and skinned avocados, cut into chunks
- Mix all ingredients, except avocado, together in a bowl and chill.
- Serve with scoop-style corn chips or alone as a side dish.