10 Things You Didn’t Know about Valpak
1. The birthplace of The Blue Envelope®. Valpak was founded in Clearwater, Florida in 1968 by Terry Loebel, who started the direct mail business in his garage after borrowing $500 from his mother.
2. Valpak mails savings to nearly 40 million homes every month. Annually, Valpak will distribute almost 20 billion offers inserted in almost 470 million envelopes.
3. Wide open spaces. The Valpak Manufacturing Center, located in Saint Petersburg, Florida is built high and dry — 18 feet above sea level — to help protect it during Florida’s hurricane season and is large enough to hold 13 747 commercial airliners.
4. Coupon scientists. Valpak employs more than 700 people in Largo and Saint Petersburg, Florida. Valpak employees sometimes refer to themselves as “Valpakians.”
5. We work with robots! Valpak’s automated production process means its coupons aren’t touched by human hands until they reach the consumer at home. There are more than 30 robots; from robotic arms to automated guided vehicles, which run continuously on invisible tracks throughout the facility.
6. The Valpak envelope was not always blue. In 1968 it was white, with blue and red lettering.
7. We outta be in pictures. The Daily Show host Jon Stewart once featured Valpak, pulling out The Blue Envelope of his suit pocket. Jimmy Kimmel pulled out The Blue Envelope on his show with the cast of “Twilight” saying he had some fan mail for one of the cast members. And Valpak employees “howled” when they saw The Blue Envelope featured on an episode of HBO’s “True Blood” in 2012.
8. Franchise players. There are nearly 170 Valpak sales franchise offices throughout North America, including seven locations in Canada. Valpak sales representatives, franchise owners and employees gather once a year at the annual “Coupon University” or Coupon U.
9. Valpak cares. For more than 10 years, Valpak has supported the NALC’s annual Stamp Out Hunger food drive, reminding consumers to leave donations for mail carriers.
10. Supporting our veterans. Valpak has an incentive program for military veterans who would like to purchase a Valpak franchise. valpakfranchising.com. Additionally, both Military Times EDGE and I. Jobs have praised Valpak for its focus on veterans, placing the company at No. 5 on the Best for Vets: Franchises list and among the top 10 percent of franchise companies named to the 2013 Military Friendly Franchises® list, respectively.
Be sure to enter our Valpak Birthday Giveaway! You could win a $5,000 party prize pack or one of 46 other prizes. Click here to enter the sweepstakes.