10 Ways to Celebrate Mom
Mother’s Day is the one day out of 365 that our society has completely devoted to celebrating our maternal bonds. The women in our lives that birthed us, raised us, kissed our boo-boos, read us stories, taught us about tough life lessons and so forth. The selfless, giving, tired, head-over-heels for her kids kind of moms that are always putting the needs of others first. Well, this is the day to make her feel extra special, and if you’re looking for a few ideas on how to make this Mother’s Day one to remember, here are a few ideas:
1. Plant something outdoors so the mother in your life can have a reminder of your love for months or even years to come. Regardless if you plant a tree, bush, single potted plant or an entire garden of vegetables, the growth, production, longevity and organic beauty of plants is incredibly symbolic of what our mothers have all done for us.
2. Wash her car – inside and out! Especially if the mom in your life considers acts of service to be her love language, taking care of this chore will not only remove the crumbs from the car seats and crevices, but it will be a reminder (at least for a week or two) that you took the time to do something nice for her.
3. Plan a day trip somewhere so you can go on an adventure and leave the endless to-do list behind. Picnic in the park, hike on a trail, a day of shopping or relaxing on the beach – just pick something you know your mom will love to do!
4. Pamper your mama with a gift certificate to the nail or hair salon. Send her off for a massage. If you’re on a budget, set up a spa at home!
5. Walk a day in her shoes. And what I mean by this is moms are constantly feeling underappreciated. Take her daily load off by doing all her regular chores so she can sit back and relax – cook the meals, do the laundry, tidy up the house, etc. I betcha you’ll be more aware of the many sacrifices that your mom makes for you if you spend a day doing what she does! If you really want to wow her, consider getting help from a professional cleaning company so the house is truly spotless!
6. Get crafty. Use the arsenal of supplies in the junk drawer to create a homemade gift; card, jewelry, artwork, flower pot, you name it. Gifts that come from the heart and the hands are far more sentimental than something that can be picked up from a store shelf.
7. If the mother or grandmother in your life is no longer living, do something in her honor. Take flowers to a hospital or nursing home. Do something special for another mother who might be alone. Although it might be hard grieving for a lost mom on this particular day, you can certainly make it very special for someone else.
8. Make a video slide show of your favorite photographs. Film interviews with commentary telling your mom how much you love her. The types of gifts last forever and will certainly be a precious memory to look back on in future years.
9. Create a one-of-a-kind gift basket for your mom that features all her favorite things. Coffee, candles, chocolates, a bottle of wine, gardening tools, bath and beauty products, sports memorabilia, whatever!
10. Tell your mom that you love her. Take the time out of your busy day to physically tell your mom how much she means to you. Write her a letter if communication isn’t your strong point, but above all gifts, acts of service or surprises, be sure your mom knows that you wouldn’t be where you are today without everything she’s done for you!