Kale and Herb Salad with Peanut Vinaigrette
Prior to my newly adopted vegan diet, I only juiced kale. It took many visits to the natural food market before I saw the light and started incorporating kale into almost every dish. Steamed or raw, there’s always a place for kale on my dinner plate. It is rich in antioxidants, vitamin A, vitamin C, and high in iron and fiber.
This kale salad recipe was inspired by a salad I had at a local restaurant, Marlin Darlin Keywest Grill, now one of my favorite places. After the first bite, I knew I would be craving this salad for days. So off I went to recreate this masterpiece at home.
I eat a hefty portion of this kale salad with peanut vinaigrette dressing as a meal all on its own. I find the combination of the peanuts and kale are very filling. However, it makes a great side dish too.
Search Valpak for grocery coupons to save on these ingredients.
- 1 bunch lacinato kale (also known as black, dinosaur or Tuscan kale)
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions
- Handful of cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup peanuts (preferably raw and unsalted)
- ½ cup roasted peanut oil
- Juice from 2 freshly squeezed lemons
- 2 tablespoons tamari sauce (or gluten-free soy sauce or regular soy sauce)
- 2 ½ tablespoons agave nectar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (raw if available)
- 4 dashes cayenne pepper
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Finely chop the kale and remove the thicker part of the stem towards the bottom of the leaf.
- Hand toss the chopped kale, scallions and cilantro in a large bowl or serving dish.
- In another mixing bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients — roasted peanut oil, tamari sauce, agave nectar, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and red cayenne pepper — and vigorously whisk.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Slowly add peanut vinaigrette to salad and toss. I suggest adding ¼ cup of dressing to the salad and tossing. Add more as needed. There will be extra salad dressing.
- Serve and top salad with chopped peanuts.