Gingerbread Pancakes with Hot Lemon Sauce
Spring is here! Which means that Mother’s Day is right around the corner. Nothing screams ‘Happy Mother’s Day’ like waking up to a fantastic breakfast or brunch. Plus, not having to do the clean up. When I think of growing up, pancakes were the source of comfort food. Let’s take a different spin on an old time favorite recipe. Give your special mama a meal packed full of love and of course, comfort.
Don’t let the name of these delicious pancakes intimidate you. This is simple enough that dad and the kids can make them together and perfect enough to serve to mom. Pamper her with flavors that will surely put a smile on her face and start her day off right.
Mom, if you’re the one reading this and would rather have a fantastic breakfast than the typical burnt offerings of wholesome love, discreetly print and slip this recipe into the hands of your little ones. Take the next step and make sure your husband gets the note as well. While I absolutely love a breakfast I didn’t have to make, there is no reason it has to be thought of that day. Then, of course, you’ll look at their smiling faces full of love, and you are reminded how truly blessed you are.
Recipe from Jen Schreiner of InspiringSavings.com
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest, grated
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Stir together the first five ingredients. Beat egg with milk in large bowl. Beat in molasses, then oil. Add flour mixture and stir just until combined. It's OK if the batter is a little lumpy.
- Cook pancakes on hot griddle. Pour 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle for each pancake.
- Once cooked on both sides serve with hot lemon sauce.
- In a medium sauce pan, mix together cornstarch, sugar and nutmeg. Gradually add in water. Stir until incorporated.
- Turn stove top on to medium low heat until mixture is thick and clear. Add in butter, lemon zest and juice. Stir until butter is melted.
- Now you are ready to serve with your gingerbread pancakes.