Recipe: Cowboy Caviar
This is an old family favorite we bust out at New Year’s (for good juju) and anytime we have a craving for beans… which is often because my mama and mom are Texas natives – Miles and Wichita Falls respectfully.
There’s no cooking to cowboy caviar and it tastes even better the next day. Even black-eyed-peas haters dig this tangy, dang-that’s-delicious dip. Serve it alongside TOSTITOS® and it’ll be gone in a hot minute. Enjoy!
- 3 16 oz. cans black-eyed peas drained/rinsed
- ½ cup finely chopped green pepper and red pepper
- 1 finely chopped jalapeño
- ¾ cup finely chopped white onion
- 2 garlic cloves mashed
- ? cup red wine vinegar
- ? cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- TABASCO® sauce and salt to taste
- Put everything in a bowl and mash it with a potato masher. Don’t go crazy…
- Mash it just enough that the ingredients are mixed together but you can still tell there are beans in it.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.