Pomegranate Berry Love
Valentine’s Day calls for a “Love Potion No. 9.” While I don’t have a biochemistry lab like Sandra Bullock and Tate Donovan did in the 1992 film, I do have power-packed fruits from nature’s garden that’ll spark the romance on this candy heart and roses filled day.
Through careful taste testing and experimentation, I concocted the perfect breakfast smoothie to kickstart the amore. In Valentine’s Day fashion, this red-pink smoothie is rich in antioxidants from the pomegranate seeds, strawberries and raspberries and has one libido-boosting ingredient: maca.
Maca is a supplement known to increase sexual function in both men and women. It’s grown in the mountains of Peru and is quickly becoming a popular supplement among vegans and health enthusiasts.
Pair this pomegranate berry love smoothie with breakfast in bed and you’ll be queen for a day. Enjoy and Happy Valentine’s Day!
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp maca powder
- 1 large strawberry (to be cut into heart shape)
- 20-25 pomegranate seeds
- 2 tsp shaved white chocolate
- Add strawberries, raspberries, pomegranate seeds, almond milk and maca powder into blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Place smoothie into glass, garnish with pomegranate seeds, white chocolate and place heart-shaped strawberry on rim of glass.
- Serve chilled.
- Cut out the flower part of the pomegranate without penetrating the seed part of the fruit.
- Cut the stem end of the pomegranate.
- Notice on the flower end of the pomegranate there are natural ridges (similar to an orange). Cut along these ridges from flower end to stem.
- Separate the cut sections. The pomegranate should come apart easy, seeds intact.
- Pull seeds out carefully without breaking them open as they may stain. Discard the rest of the pomegranate.
- Find a medium to large size strawberry with a pointed tip.
- Remove stem and cut strawberry in half.
- Cut an upside down triangle at the center of the strawberry to create the heart shape. Shape sides as needed to mold into heart.
- Once your desired shape is achieved, slice a small slit on the bottom of the strawberry. This will allow you to place it at the rim of the glass.
- Take a white chocolate square of your choice and with a sharp knife slice fine pieces to create shaving.
- Take the shavings and fill in the pomegranate shaped heart.
- Take your pomegranate seeds and gently place them on the smoothie in the shape of a heart as shown in the photo.
I recommend using frozen berries since this drink tastes better cold. However, if you don’t have frozen berries or time to freeze your fruit, add ice to your mix and blend.