The Gray Cliff Lodge, named for the gray cliff located behind the building, was built in 1912 by the Thomas Dee family to serve as their summer home.
The home was used as a boarding house starting in 1932. The family, Ed & Toby Greenwell began using the main common room to host dinner parties and by 1945 the boarding house had evolved into a full-time restaurant.
Stephen and Jody Sniggs are the current owners of the restaurant, which was first owned by his father. Stephen grew up in the restaurant and was washing dishes by the time he was 12. He has spent 30 years perfecting the recipes used by the restaurant.
Sunday Brunch 10am-2pm. Open for Sunday Dinner 3pm-8pm
Additional hours available for group dining.
Early History of Gray Cliff Lodge
Gray Cliff Lodge was built in 1912 as the summer home for the Thomas Dee family. The main dining room was designed as the shared family room. There were three studio apartments on each side of the great room - one for each of his six daughters and their families. .
History of Gray Cliff Lodge, continued
Upstairs there were two bedrooms, a bath and a sleeping porch to accommodate all the grandkids. The youngest son was single so his room was upstairs along with Mrs.Dee. The house was used as a gathering place for the family and as a way to care for their elderly mother.
About Thomas Dee
Mr. Dee was a Mormon Pioneer from Wales. Thomas Dee was the first president of Utah Construction, a vice-president of the First Nation Bank of Ogden and a municipal judge. He purchased the Ogden Waterworks for a silver dollar! .
Death of Thomas Dee
While checking a water source in the canyon in July of 1905, Mr Dee tumbled into the river and died a few days later of pneumonia. As a tribute to Thomas Dee the family founded the "Thomas Dee Memorial Hospital.".
The Dee family
The Dee family continued to spend their summers at Gray Cliff until 1932 when they sold the house to Ed and Toby Greenwell. The Greenwell's used the building as a boarding house with the main section used as a common room.
Boarding house and hosting parties
Toby was a fine cook and Ed a true entertainer. People started requesting special dinners - 50th wedding anniversaries, sweet 16 parties and such. Toby and Ed would push the furniture to the walls and host a party! By 1945, Gray Cliff Lodge was running full time as a restaurant.
Neal and Lois Sniggs bought the restaurant in 1965, enclosing the porch and maintaining the traditions. Neal's son and daughter-in-law, Steve and Jody, purchased Gray Cliff in 1979 and are still here today!.